Regional Radio Fast Facts
Regional Radio Fast Facts
- 45% of Australians live in Regional areas
- Regional Radio has the potential to reach over 11.7m people
- Almost half of all groceries are purchased in Regional markets
- Every second car is bought in a Regional market
- 8 of the 10 fastest growing centres are in Regional markets
- Regional markets account for 45% of all current housing costs
- 1 out of 2 household appliances, televisions or computers are bought in a Regional market
- There is greater housing affordability in Regional versus Metro markets
*Source : ACMA Radio license areas, ABS Census 2016 , GFK/Xtra Radio surveys 2017
People Really Connect with Radio
- Radio is alive with influential, connected and current talent, shows and brands
- Radio is alive with brand engagement and influence that drives awareness, equity and ROI
- Radio brings brand stories to life through multi-platform audio, video and written content 24/7
- Radio is “Live and Local” connecting with community issues and events
- Radio is nimble and flexible to broadcast the most current messages
- Radio’s digital extensions engage in real time
- Radio is portable and mobile
Radio Dominates Share of Audio
- Live Australian radio is the dominant audio platform accounting for 61.3% of time spent listening to audio.
- Streaming platforms account for 15% of audio, however two thirds of this listening is advertising free.
- Time spent listening to live Australian radio is over 4 times higher than the combined time spent listening to streaming services (Spotify and Apple Music).
- Australians consume an average of 3 hours 28 minutes of audio each day and 2 hours 7 minutes of this is spent listening to live Australian radio, compared to 30 minutes listening to streaming services.
- Live Australian radio is the leading audio platform for all demographics including 10-17 and 18-24 year old's.
Source : GFK Share of Audio study 2019
Download - Radio Dominates Share of Audio
Radio Drives ROI
Radio has always been considered one of the most economical and effective call to action mediums. The findings of this study highlight this further by confirming that adding radio to a media mix helps brands to increase their ROI
- Radio advertising delivers an average ROI of +17%, more than online (14%) and TV (13%)
- Radio and online is the strongest two channel combination, delivering an average ROI of +23%, nearly three times more than TV and online (+9%)
- Radio is the only channel that consistently increases ROI; the results for radio are always positive
- Radio and online is the strongest two channel combination, delivering an average ROI of nearly 3 times more than TV and online.
Download - Radio Drives ROI
Radio: Most trusted and Authentic
- Compared to other media, listeners say radio is the most trusted and authentic media, rating it almost twice as high as TV and more than double online.
- Radio leads the way in providing credible and trusted news content for listeners, with over half of listeners saying that online is full of ‘fake news’
- Radio is particularly important amongst those living in Regional areas to keep up-to-date on local news (Regional 74% v’s Metro 58%) and community events (Regional 76% v’s Metro 58%)
Source: GFK Radio Insights 2017
Download: Radio: Most trusted and Authentic